Tuesday 15 December 2015

Cranberry and White Chocolate Crunchies




There is a very simple story behind this one. Last weekend we were invited to a Christmas picnic with some playgroup friends and I was asked to bring a plate of sweet eats to share. "Fantastic!" I thought, right up my alley. Crunchies are usually always a hit with adults and children, and the fact that I was having a crazy weekend and needed something I could make in a jiffy made them even more perfect. I have a wonderful basic crunchie recipe which I have previously adapted to make chocolate crunchies and today I wanted to share the Christmas version that I made for the picnic. 





Crunchies often make me think of my time in the U.K. where I would see plastic punnets in bakeries filled with chewy, oaty and very crunchie-like squares called "flapjacks". Of course a flapjack is something completely different here in S.A. and it was the source of some confusion, I can tell you! Along with flapjacks being called pikelets (why?), male colleagues constantly referring to me as "mate" (eh, ahoy there matey?) and pants being called trousers (an embarrassing story for another day). I hope you will give these crunchies a.k.a. flapjacks a.k.a. squares of oaty deliciousness a try, whatever you call them! 




Being December and all I wanted to add a little twist to my favourite crunchie recipe to make it more festive, and these ones are dotted with chewy red cranberries and chunks of white chocolate. You could even go further and add some Christmassy spices like cinnamon and ginger but I like them just the way they are. 




I have one more festive recipe coming your way next week before we round off for the year, see you then! 



_________________________

CRANBERRY & WHITE CHOCOLATE CRUNCHIES


Makes 16






1 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup dried cranberries
140g butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp bicarb
65g white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
35g white chocolate, for drizzling


Step 1.) Preheat your oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm square tin and line the base with baking paper. 

Step 2.) Combine the oats, flour, coconut and cranberries in a bowl. 

Step 3.) Place the butter, syrup and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until the butter has melted and everything is combined. Stir in the bicarb

Step 4.) Pour the melted butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the white chocolate chunks and mix. Scrape the mixture into your prepared tin and gently flatten into an even layer. 

Step 5.) Bake the crunchies for 20 minutes, until they are golden and have risen slightly. They will still be a little wobbly in the middle. Leave to cool completely before cutting into squares. 

Step 6.) Pop the remaining white chocolate in a small bowl and microwave on a low setting for a few seconds at a time whisking gently with a fork each time you check it. Once melted, pour the chocolate into a small sandwich bag. Snip off a corner of the bag and drizzle the chocolate over the cooled crunchies. (You could also use a small piping bag if you have one, or simply drizzle with a spoon.)

Step 7.) Allow the chocolate to set before serving. Store in an airtight container in a cool place.  




4 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa

    These look yums, may i check what oats do you use? Normal jungle oats or rolled oats? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Thandi, I used Jungle Oats in this particular recipe. Happy baking!

      Delete
  2. These look completely festive all dressed up in red and white. Deliciousness in a tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di. Any excuse to get all Christmassy, I love it! Happy holidays to you and yours.

      Delete